Faculty of Agriculture
Faculty of Agriculture started with Department of Agriculture and Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture for take-off. The programs being housed under Department of Agriculture are: Agriculture Economics, Agribusiness, Animal Science, Crop Science, Horticulture, and Soil Science. Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture runs only Fisheries and Aquaculture as a program. Other programs and Departments will be introduced in due course.
The Faculty produces graduates with in-depth academic and practical training in the agricultural discipline and practical agricultural techniques in the university’s integrated commercial or other related farms so as to produce graduates that are sound in their chosen field of specialization while possessing easily identifiable and readily applicable expertise that will encourage self-employment and entrepreneurship in agriculture and related areas. To further broaden and enhance their academic horizon and excellence, the students are to be exposed to courses in social sciences, humanities and managerial skills during their stay in the university.
Objectives of the Faculty
- To train and impart the knowledge and skills of scientific agriculture and related sciences on our students through teaching and research towards achieving self –reliance and employment among our graduates and ensuring food security in the nation.
- Dissemination of our research findings through our out-reach programmes in our community, workshops, conferences and publications.
- Engage in and encourage commercial farming using advanced technologies in our community as well as demonstrate the theoretical aspects of our teaching and research in the farm
- Produce graduates that are relevant to themselves, the industry and society and who can contribute effectively to national development goals in Agriculture
- Being involved in consultancy services to government , individuals, corporate bodies as part of the mandate of the institution and
- Exhibit the entrepreneurial advantages in the study of agriculture through the establishment of an integrated commercial farm for commercial production of agricultural products, teaching and research as well as community service by using same as a demonstration farm for the catchment area farmers.