The Federal University Ndufu Alike Ikwo (FUNAI) is a new and modern campus based university located in Ebonyi State, the Eastern part of Nigeria. The University, under the leadership of Distinguished Professor Oye Ibidapo-Obe (former President Nigerian Academy of Science), aspires to be a world class university recognised for the delivery of intellectually rigorous, cutting-edge research and excellent teaching and learning.
The University prides itself on offering excellent learning experience for students, informed by up-to-date research and facilitated by a high-quality learning environment, with multi-media classrooms, modern library and well equipped laboratories. A significant number of our teaching staff have terminal degrees from the United Kingdom, Canada, United States, Belgium, South Africa and other African countries and are recognised international experts in their fields, which means our students learn among and with world-class academics that are leaders in their fields and disciplines.
There are currently three faculties: Humanities and Social Sciences, Science and Technology, and Basic Medical Sciences. These houses 10 departments or academic areas, including Business Administration, Accountancy, Entrepreneurial Studies, History and Strategic Studies, Languages, Biotechnology, Sociology, Political Science, History, Anatomy, Physiology, Physics, Computer Science, Informatics, Molecular Biology, Geology, Geophysics, etc. These departments offer high quality courses and programmes that meet national and international academic standards and the needs of 21st century students and employers. We value entrepreneurship development and seek to integrate it in all our academic programmes in order to produce graduates that can stand on their own and create jobs. We are particularly committed to providing our students with essential generic foundation skills with a comprehensive understanding of their relevant disciplines. Our students are to display creativity, independent thinking and intellectual rigour, as well as good understanding of the professions, industry and business. The vision, goals and philosophy of the University are specified below.
The Federal University Ndufu-Alike, Ikwo aspires to become a vibrant centre of learning and research that will be reputable nationally and internationally and a hub for the economic transformation and development of the region through creative and innovative endeavours.
Our Mission and Relevance:
- To train top quality human resource that will propel the development of the country by equipping the graduates with the relevant knowledge and skills required in the market place in a globalised world.
- To take a leading role in fostering the economic development of Ebonyi State and the entire Nigerian society at large through specific education, training and outreach activities.
The University has as its philosophy the production of graduates that will have the spirit of excellence, integrity and entrepreneurship imbibed in them. Our philosophy is guided by
- The need to raise problem solvers for the nation through the production of highly skilled and motivated graduates.
- The need to pay particular attention to research activities that will address and impact positively on the lives of the people of Ebonyi State and Nigeria in general.
The academic objectives of the University are:
- To provide access to university education for qualified candidates in all the fields of endeavour for which the University has man date.
- To act as a centre for teaching, research and community service that will lead to the acceleration of economic and social development of the catchment areas in particular and the country in general.
- To develop and offer academic and professional programmes leading to the award of university degrees and diplomas with the aim of producing mature graduates that will compete favourably with graduates from other world-class universities.
- To promote local and international cooperation through linkages in pursuit of research, staff and exchanges.